Custom Cut Closet Liners
$0.11 / in - $0.17 / in
Aromatic Eastern Red Cedar
Approx. Size: 5½”W X ½”Thick
Tongue & Groove Closet Liner
Sold by the Inch.
Aromatic Eastern Red Cedar
Tongue & Groove Closet Liner Sold by the Inch.
- This liner is approximately 1/2″ thick!
- Actual width is 5 1/2 inches.
- Dehumidified, Never Kiln Dried.
- Custom Cut to your specifications.
- Appearance Grade Cedar
- Sold by the inch, custom cut for you.
Our building materials can be used for interiors and exteriors or any other type of construction jobs. Use as Siding, Paneling, Flooring, and more!
We are the first company to offer 1/2″ closet liners custom cut just for you and sold by the inch. This means that you get exactly the lengths you need to build the perfect cedar closet without having to cut boards, simply measure and order.
Our closet lining is crafted using hand-selected American, Aromatic Eastern Red Cedar. It's never been easier to update your closet, bedroom, basement, pantry and more with natural, NEVER kiln dried, aromatic eastern red cedar 1/2" boards.
Our natural Closet Liners provide a forest fresh aroma and moth protection in a form that is safe, natural, inexpensive and easy to install. Our 1/2 inch boards will last longer because they have up to twice the amount of cedar oil than 1/4 inch boards have.
AND, our aromatic red cedar is NEVER kiln dried so they maintain their cedar properties longer and stronger. This means our cedar boards extend the life for your garments and other valuable personal items, as they protect them from pests and mildew.
How our Red Cedar Closet Liner is different!
Let's face it, lining your closet with aromatic eastern red cedar is a job that could take an entire weekend, but it's totally worth it. So, it only goes to reason that you want to use the highest quality cedar products that will last the longest.
Our proprietary cut and process gives you the highest grade aromatic eastern red cedar, that will last the longest, giving you up to twice the longevity and benefits that has been proven to naturally and safely repel common household insects including moths, cockroaches, and silverfish.
- Dehumidified, Never Kiln Dried - Most, if not all, companies that ship Eastern Red Cedar will always kiln dry their products. When kiln dried, they takes the moisture content down to around 10-12%. This makes the wood lighter and saves money on shipping. Unfortunately, it also reduces the amount of cedar oils in the wood limiting the natural benefits and the very reason you are installing a cedar closet. Our de humidification chamber dries the cedar perfectly to maintain the wood’s natural scent, fiber texture, and color.
- 1/2 Inch Thickness - Most, if not all, of the cedar paneling that is available to have shipped to your home is only 1/4 inch thick where ours is 1/2 inch thick. This means that you will get twice the amount of cedar oil in your closet liner panels! It's the cedar oil that gives your closet that special cedar aroma that naturally and safely repel common household insects including moths, cockroaches, and silverfish. When you couple the facts that our boards are twice as thick as our nearest competitor with our proprietary drying process that retains the most amount of cedar oil, it's easy to see that our cedar closet liners are just better, and why they will last longer.
- Cut to your specifications - There is no place we have found, or know of, that will custom cut, and ship, 1/2 inch aromatic eastern cedar wood for closet liners. When we started this business our goal was to help everyday people, with or without carpentry skills, who want to easily install the best cedar closet lining with the least amount of work. Ten years later, and thanks to our wonderful customers, we are the webs #1 seller, and shipper, of custom cut 1/2 inch aromatic eastern red cedar closet liners.
- Appearance Grade Cedar -Cedar is graded based on Appearance, which is called "appearance grade" or Select Lumber. Appearance grade is primarily for non-structural lumber under 2" thick. Appearance grades use letters A through D, with A being the highest grade. All of the cedar that we sell for closet liners is A grade Appearance Board eastern red cedar.
- All advertised sizes are approximate.
- Due to custom cutting & milling there are no refunds.
- We Offer Free Shipping on Many Items
- Free t-Shirt on all orders over $400.00
- Got a Question? No Problem! Call toll-free for Ordering Support 1-800-422-9912.
Tools You’ll Need for Installation
- Hammer / Nail Gun
- Miter Box (optional)
- 1-1/2” colored panel nails (over drywall). Subfloor adhesive may also be used.
Installation of RedCedarCut4U Planks
IMPORTANT: Before you install cedar planks, you’ll want them to acclimate outside of the box near or in the area they will be installed for 24-48 hours prior to installation. Like all wood, cedar will expand and contract as its moisture content changes. This waiting period allows for this process and helps prevent warping or gaps after the closet is completed.
Measure the surface you wish to cover to determine square footage needed. Measure the width and height of each wall of the closet remembering to subtract 1/2 inch from the width of each wall to account for the thickness of the cedar planks.
Then use our closet planner calculator to determine how many boxes of pre-cut RedCedarCut4U kits or custom cut solid cedar planks you will need.
Lay out the planks in the order in which they will be installed, staggering the ends for a random appearance. Set aside a few knot-free pieces to fill in gaps.
NOTE: Although cedar planks can be applied vertically, diagonally or horizontally, horizontal installation is recommended for most do-it-yourselfers.
Remove shelves, hanger rods, molding, etc. from the closet. If using nails, locate wall studs using a stud finder and mark a center line along each stud to indicate where nails are to be driven. (Standard studs are 16 on center.)
Place the grooved edge against the floor, beginning in a bottom corner. (If you are installing shiplap, place bottom strip so lower lap cannot be seen and top lap is visible.)
NOTE: BE SURE THE FIRST ROW IS LEVEL.
Nail at stud mark directly through the face of the plank, using 1-1/2 panel nails if going through gypsum wallboard and 1" nails if installing directly over studs. In older homes with plaster and lath, use 2" nails.
NOTE: Adhesive is recommended if planks are being installed vertically.
If you choose to use adhesive, subfloor adhesive is recommended, because it will provide a solid bond that will not be weakened by the natural cedar oil present in the planks.
Using subfloor adhesive: apply along stud lines and at top and bottom of plank. Be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s safety and ventilation instructions when using adhesives.
Once the first piece is in place, continue that row across the length of the wall. To finish the row, saw one piece to make a perfect fit. Use the remainder of that piece to start the next row. Continue until the entire wall is covered. Completely line one wall before starting another.
Cut the pieces that were set aside to fill in gaps along the floor base, corners or ceiling – or install mouldings for a professional finish. When working around doorways, run the planks all the way up to the trim. Cutting and fitting is usually required above doorways also.
Install molding for a professional finish.
NOTE: Do not stain or varnish.
TIP: To install a slightly warped board, secure one side and then pull down the other side. If the bow is high in the middle, then pull it down in the middle and secure in the middle and then to the sides.
We Only Sell Aromatic Eastern Red Cedar
Our cedar panels can be used for closet liners, V-paneling and flooring. Our dehumidification chamber dries the cedar perfectly to maintain the wood’s natural scent, fiber texture, and color.
Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus Virginiana) is extremely resistant to and repels many types of pests, such as rodents, roaches and termites. Please take note: that most cedar products on the market are Western Cedar. Our Eastern Cedar products offer better durability and insect repellents. Not even carpenter bees will want to bore into our wood!
Red Cedar is not only a beautiful, durable wood, but it also has an AMAZING scent! This type of wood was commonly used by noblemen, royalty and Native Americans (Cherokee Indians) in both modern and Biblical times. All of our wood is hand-selected premium grade planed Red Cedar. Our flooring, trim, and lap-siding products can be used for closet liners, churches, basements, garages, tiny homes, log homes, tree houses and much more.
We also sell Cedar Siding products to fit your needs. There are an assortment of Cedar Shakes in various shapes and sizes available for your selection. Lap siding is also available in our store. Our Products can be used for interiors and exteriors. Use as Siding, Paneling, Flooring, and more!
About Red Cedar
Eastern red cedar grows in the eastern part of the United States, typically ranging between 20′-100′. Sometimes referred to as “aromatic cedar,” this cedar is known for its pungent scent from its natural oils. This cedar’s exterior boasts a reddish-violet tinted brown, while its inner sapwood appears pale yellow. The sapwood often makes an appearance throughout the heartwood.
The terms “red cedar” and “aromatic cedar” are markedly different in their context. Red cedar is a lay, or common, term. In a scientific context, the taxonomical names of trees -- Thuja plicata and Juniperus virginiana -- are used. Aromatic cedar, on the other hand, is a trade term used by carpenters, contractors and other professionals in the building trade.
The term refers specifically to the lumber of the eastern red cedar. It differs from the term “red cedar” in that red cedar refers to the tree as a whole, while “aromatic cedar” specifically denotes the wood of the eastern red cedar that is used in building projects and sometimes only building project lumber culled from specimens of eastern red cedar found in the southern portions of the Appalachian Mountains.
Conifer. Height 40 to 60 feet. Trunk diameter 2 to 4 feet. Usually a small tree, it has been known to grow 90 feet high with a trunk circumference of 13 feet. Distribution; Nova Scotia south to Georgia along the Atlantic Coast west to the Mississippi River states. It is the state tree of Tennessee. The eastern or "aromatic" red cedar is the species used for moth-proof storage chests and clothes closets. It is not to be confused with the huge timber species of the west coast: western red cedar and incense cedar.
A firm, stable softwood, the timber of this red cedar is highly prized for its beautiful, warm, deep, rich, red color and its most distinctive, everlasting, aromatic perfume. The wood is light and easy to work. It has numerous knots that make a handsome distinctive pattern. Otherwise it is straight and close grained. Due to its natural beauty and scent, it is never painted or stained. The wood is enduring - it is strong and durable. Its natural oils contain the secret of its success
Where aromatic red cedar is concerned, the knottier the wood the better. The many knots indicate the exceptionally high content of the aromatic oils that distinguish this wood from all others. The more oil the stronger the scent; the stronger the scent the deader the moth! (And, of course, the more wonderful smelling the stored woolen clothes.) This same oil makes cedar decay and insect resistant and waterproof; the perfect wood of choice for long term use. The wood also has low shrinkage and is very stable once applied.
Despite its relatively high cost, aromatic red cedar is worth the cost for the service it performs. It is typically available as veneer and lumber. The trunks of the majority of this red cedar are used for fence posts. The water resistant lumber is used in greenhouse construction and for window sills and small boat decks.
It is most commonly associated with cedar blanket chests, wardrobes, clothes closet interiors, storage room paneling and dresser drawer linings. It is also used for scientific instruments and novelties. The pencil in your hand or behind your ear is made of red cedar woods. This soft but firm, straight, close-grained wood is designed to sharpen perfectly and easily. Also, the shavings smell nice. Isn't nature grand!
Please give us a call, or shoot us a line and we will be happy to help you with your project or concerns.